If you are an English learner you have probably heard about the BBC – the British Broadcasting Company. It is one of the biggest and most reliable news sources in the world, with a multitude of TV and radio channels, a website and podcasts.
Did you know?
A whole large section of the BBC website is devoted to learning English: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/ The website has existed for many years and over the years it has gathered a multitude of diverse materials for English learning – carefully created by the BBC with the best interest of learners in mind.
One of the best things about this resource is that it is completely free. You don’t have to pay anything and you get access to a great collection of high-quality materials – isn’t that amazing?
What can you do there?
- Take a course. BBC Learning English has complete courses for various levels with carefully curated materials. All you need to do is to follow the outlined steps and do the tasks! For example, check out this Intermediate course: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/intermediate
- Learn Business English. English at work http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/english-at-work is a series of animated videos with the practical language used in realistic dialogues and situations.
- Improve your pronunciation. This is especially useful if you have always dreamed of having a British accent. There is a basic course http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/pronunciation/introduction and an intermediate one.
- Watch the news. Watch current news with key vocabulary analyzed – learn about world events and improve your English at the same time. http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview
- Improve your grammar. There are grammar references for different levels (this is, for instance, intermediate http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/intermediate-grammar-guide) and a few grammar related podcasts.
- Have fun! BBC Learning English features a number of podcasts for English learners on various topics. One of the best is 6 minute English for intermediate learners and higher. On this podcast, the speakers discuss various topics, from technology to society, history, fashion, philosophy and whatnot – at the same time highlighting some very useful vocabulary.
- And many more.
Isn’t that great? This is just one resource. But it comes from a reliable high-quality creator. It is absolutely free. And it features plenty of materials for different levels, on different topics and aspects of the English language.
There is maybe one disadvantage: it is a website and not an app, so it may be less convenient to use on your smartphone, although you can still download separate podcasts or watch the videos on the BBC YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/bbclearningenglish
Otherwise, it is one of the best resources out there. You can combine it with your classes or even use it alone to improve your English!